We are going to be out of town the 3rd Tuesday of April, so I am sending along the info I have been saving for the group. See you next month.
After Google’s decision to display IPTC fields – a new industry survey from IPTC http://blog.
digitalmedialicensing.org/?p= 4742 Deadline for this survey is 4/15/2019 https://www.surveymonkey.com/ r/iptcpmduse19suppliers
Stock Agency News
Magnum Photos CEO David Kogan leaves the agency 1 March https://photoarchivenews.com/
Rick Strange, a very successful UK travel photographer with over 45 years experience is closing his www.
worldtravelphotographs.com website after over 4 years of very disappointing sales. Considering the excellent quality of his work, this may be a cautionary tale for any photographer considering trying to market work from a personal website rather than using a stock agency.
PhotoShelter, the leading digital asset management platform for visual storytellers, today announced two dynamic additions to the company’s management team: Kristine Muccigrosso and Daniel Salerno. Muccigrosso joins as the VP of Customer Success and Salerno as the Director of Talent and People Operations.
Shutterstock has reported Q4 2018 revenue of $162.1 million up $6.7% compared to Q4 2017. (The comparison excludes the 2017 revenue from Webdam which was divested in Q1 2018.) The revenue was also up $9.5 million from Q3 2018. Revenue per download averaged $3.40 per image, compared to $3.33 in Q4 2017. (Much of this growth is probably due to increased sales of video content offered at much higher prices than still image content.)
PantherMedia is now representing the work of the largest provider of 360 °/VR media provider, 360Cities. 360 °/VR media are ideal for use in education, publishing, advertising and film, as well as in the development of mobile apps and games. 360Cities has been curating high-quality, fully 360 ° interactive panoramic photos for over 10 years, working with thousands of passionate VR photographers and videographers from around the world.
Shutterstock have launched in-app contributor sign-ups for both Android and iOS platforms, (until now only available via a desktop) available in 21 languages …making uploading and selling photos on their platform much easier for the mobile-first generation. Read more: https://
photoarchivenews.com/news/ photo-agency-tech- shutterstock-aims-app- registration-mobile-first- generation/
A new UK-wide photo agency representing female photographers called Female Perspective has been launched by Brighton based photographer Tabatha Fireman. Having worked at numerous photo agencies as both photographer and assignment editor, and with a desire to redress the gender imbalance that currently exists in photojournalism, Tabatha, 44, set out to create a photo agency consisting of high-calibre women photographers. Read more: https://
photoarchivenews.com/news/new- photo-agency-launched-female- perspective/
StockFood takes over travel photo agency Look http://blog.
digitalmedialicensing.org/?p= 4761 and https://photoarchivenews.com/ news/look-travel-photo-agency- handed-stockfood/
VICE Media’s Broadly Stock Photos Beyond the Binary Launched: Gender inclusive stock photo library available for free to media outlets https://photoarchivenews.com/
news/launched-gender- inclusive-stock-photo-library- available-for-free-to-media- outlets/
1) Getty Images sent out the following notice to image suppliers yesterday. Be sure to also see Getty Simplifying RM Exclusivity where I analyze the pros and cons of this plan for image creators. They said, "We will soon begin including a base level of Exclusivity into RM licenses called Market Freeze, which will allow customers exclusive use of an image for the combination of use, industry, geography, and duration of any commercial use license READ MORE: http://www.selling-stock.com/
2) Getty Images personnel are telling some stock agency image suppliers that in 3 to 5 years there will be no more Rights Managed licensing. Everything will be RF. Currently, only 21% of the images in Getty’s Creative collection are RM. That is down from 55% in 2007, the last time Getty supplied detailed figures on gross sales of the various collections. Getty is also putting pressure on individual photographers to switch their RM images to RF.
3) WHAT MAKES A GREAT CREATIVE IMAGE? https://marketing.
4) Insights, culture and trends. A lens into culture and the visual imagery that moves it https://creativeinsights.
5) Flexible pricing. https://www.gettyimages.com/
1) CEPIC Statement on Works of Visual Arts in the Public Domain http://blog.
2) Supreme Court ruling on Copyright registration - Fourth Estate Public Benefit Corp. v. Wall-Street.com, LLC http://blog.
As a result, suits for copyright infringement cannot be commenced until after the Copyright Office issues (or denies) a registration, but the Court noted that plaintiffs can seek damages for infringement that occurred before and after the registration was granted.
From the Copyright Alliance:
3) Supreme Court Hands Down Critical Decisions in Fourth Estate Public Benefit Corp. v. Wall-Street.com, LLCand Rimini Street, Inc. v. Oracle USA, Inc.,Resolving Circuit Splits Over Interpretation of Copyright Act Provisions http://blog.
4) United States Copyright Office Updated Draft of Compendium http://blog.
5) E.U. lawmakers back copyright reforms targeting Google, Facebook
Google said the reforms would lead to legal uncertainty and hurt Europe's creative and digital economies.
tech-news/e-u-lawmakers-back- copyright-reforms-targeting- google-facebook-n987401
6) Ninth Circuit Addresses Outstanding Copyright Issues in VHT, Inc v Zillow Group http://blog.
7) Global Infringement Report 2019 ► Tracking Worldwide Image Theft https://www.copytrack.com/
9) On March 27, 2019, Librarian of Congress Dr. Carla Hayden appointed Karyn A. Temple Register of
Copyrights and the Director of the U.S. Copyright Office. https://www.copyright.gov/
10) Updated: RNC Didn’t Infringe Photographer’s Copyright, Montana Judge Rules https://pdnpulse.pdnonline.
11) Supreme Court Denies Co Rentmeester’s Copyright Petition over Nike “Jumpman” https://pdnpulse.pdnonline.
com/2019/03/supreme-court- denies-co-rentmeesters- copyright-petition-over-nike- jumpman.html?blocked=true
12) Alleged Copyright Infringer Hits Back Against Photographer Tom Hussey https://pdnpulse.pdnonline.
com/2019/03/alleged-copyright- infringer-hits-back-against- photographer-tom-hussey.html? blocked=true
Photo District News (PDN)
Quick Tip: Trim Estimates by Cutting Expenses—NOT Your Fee https://pdnpulse.pdnonline.
com/2019/03/quick-tip-trim- estimates-by-cutting-expenses- not-your-fee.html
PDN EDU - Articles include: Business Smarts, Ask a Photo Editor, Is It Legal http://digitalmag.pdnedu.com/
Decode Instagram’s Algorithm https://www.pdnonline.com/
features/how-music- photographer-farrah-skeiky- decodes-instagrams-algorithm/
Obituary: Photographer Peter B. Kaplan, 79 https://www.pdnonline.com/
features/obituary- photographer-peter-b-kaplan- 79/
Pearson has sold its U.S. schools course materials business to the private equity groups Nexus Capital Management LP for $250 million. Nexus will pay an initial $25 million and a further $225 million by way of a vendor note due in the next three to five years for the business, which provides textbooks and resources for students from kindergarten to 12th grade. http://www.selling-stock.com/
Huawei is using photos created with a DSLR to promote their new P30 Smartphone Pro Camera rather than photos actually taken with the camera. This is the third time they have been caught using DSLR stock photos to promote the use of their smartphones. They seem to have no qualms about misrepresenting their products to the public and potential buyers. http://www.selling-stock.com/