Monday, May 19, 2014

Cinematographer Gordon Willis ASC, RIP

From Joe Goldman 5/19. 2014:

Posted by Doug Hart....My FaceBook posting today :
 
"I just found out that Cinematographer Gordon Willis ASC, died this morning, of cancer, 12 days short of his 83rd Birthday. Gordon's son, Gordon Jr., phoned me with the sad news, and asked me to spread the word here on FaceBook.
 
Gordon Willis was, of course, best known for his work as Director of Photography on the 'Godfather I, II, and III,' and also such films as 'All the President's Men,' 'Manhattan,' 'Annie Hall,' 'Klute,' 'Presumed Innocent,' 'Zelig,' 'The Parallax View,' 'The Paper Chase,' 'Little Murders,' and many others.
 
Gordon's first feature was 'End of the Road,' in 1970, and his last film before retirement was 'The Devil's Own,' in 1997, 30 years of incredible Cinematography.
 
I was lucky enough to have worked with Gordon as his 1st Camera Assistant for ten films in ten years, basically the decade of the 1980's, and a handful of commercials between the features. I also did a few days on 'Manhattan,' and about 2 weeks on 'Windows,' which Gordon Directed as well as photographed.
 
Many people, including me, feel that Gordon was ignored for far too long by the Oscars - he did not get nominated for any of the 'Godfather' films, or 'Manhattan,' or 'Annie Hall,' or 'Klute,' and in fact his ONLY nomination for Cinematography (and he didn't win) was for 'Zelig,' one of the Woody Allen films than I worked with him on. (I was later reminded that Goprdon WAS nominated for the Best Cinematography Oscar for 'Godfather III," but did not win.) 
 
After news of the nomination came, he said to me, "Of all the films to get nominated for, they picked 'Zelig?' We only made half a movie - the rest was stock footage, and the rest of the footage I deliberately screwed up, to make it look like an old, faded, and scratched newsreel !!"
 
Gordon finally did receive a "Lifetime Achievement " Oscar, a few years after he retired. I'll be posting more about Gordon, and more photos.
 
But the Cinema world has lost one of its shining stars and greatest masters, as far as I am concerned.
 
No news yet about services or a memorial, but as I hear it, I will post here. R.I.P Gordon Willis, Master Cinematographer, my friend and mentor."

Doug Hart

No comments:

Post a Comment